Opportunities for creative, enterprising women interested in exploring self-employment
Creative and enterprising women who are interested in finding out what’s involved in running their own business have an upcoming opportunity to take their ideas seriously.
Designed specifically for women who have not started their business yet, a full length comprehensive business start-up course is on offe (see dates and details below)
Paddington Rotary in partnership with the Award Winning Portobello Business Centre and the business advisor Elsa Caleb have great pleasure in bringing you MyLifeMix programme that will take you from having the seed of a business idea through to getting your business off the ground and up and running.
These courses for budding women entrepreneurs of any age deliver not just business skills, but structured support with the process of thinking through the complex issues around balancing other weighty responsibilities and running a business.
The courses run during school hours, during term time only, to enable women with children to drop them and collect them from school. In addition to providing a sound grasp of basic disciplines such as marketing and finance, the courses:
- boost confidence
- support each woman to define success on her own terms
- enable her to see her life as a whole
- build a business that has each woman’s own unique priorities embedded in her foundation as she moves forward.
*This course is fully funded for women who have not started a business yet. Please contact Portobello Business Centre to find out more and reserve one of the fully funded places.
Each participant will have both her dreams and her practical reality taken seriously. For women who have an idea for a business, but aren’t sure if they have the right skills, wonder how self-employment could fit with their already busy lives, either the one day introductory course or the full length comprehensive course are opportunities to explore and risk assess the whole picture.
This is an opportunity to explore what’s involved and see for yourself just how easy it can be to set up and run your own business. So, if you have a business idea, a hobby you’d like to make money from, or are simply wondering if you’ve got what it takes, then this course is for you. In the company of like-minded women you will have a lot of fun and explore topics that include:
- What is an Entrepreneur?
- Why choose self-employment?
- What are the skills and qualities of an entrepreneur?
- Work-Life-Balance and your vision of your future.
- Business Plans. What are they and who are they for?
- You as your best marketing resource.
- Managing paperwork and your finances.
Tuesday 30th April 2019
It runs one-day-a-week (Tuesdays) over a 9-week period. There is no session in half term week, 27th – 31st May 2019.
PLACE: Canalside House, 383 Ladbroke Grove, London, W10 5AA
COST: This course is provided without charge for women who have not yet started a small business nor registered as self-employed. An £80 refundable deposit secures your place on the comprehensive course.
Refunds will be made after attendance and completion of the whole course along with completed paperwork and/or a statement of circumstance.
Due to high demand, places will be offered on a strictly first come, first served basis. PAYMENT SECURES YOUR PLACE.
Paddington Rotary in partnership with the Award Winning Portobello Business Centre and the business advisor Elsa Caleb have great pleasure in bringing you a programme that will take you from having the seed of a business idea through to getting your business off the ground and up and running.
Week 1 – The Basics for Starting Your Business
30th April 2019
- Personal journal
- Reflect on the reasons for starting a business
- Identify the advantages and commitments of running a business
- Identify personal development needs (SWOT analysis)
- Review skills
- Understand how to develop a business idea
- Review products and services
- Business values and what that means
- Feedback form
Week 2 – The Business Plan
7th May 2019
Elsa Caleb & Maria Stammers
Writing an Effective Business Plan
Choosing the correct legal status for your business:
- Sole Trader
- Limited Partnership
- Limited Company by Shares & Limited by Guarantee
- Community Interest Company
- Social Enterprise
MyLifeMix Business Wheel
Vision and Mission Statements
14th May 2019
Elsa Caleb & Nina Risoli – The Market & Market Research
- What is Market Research?
- Understanding the market for your business
- How to develop business contacts
- How to build relationships with your customers
- How do present your business?
- How do you promote your business?
- How do you manage your time?
- Feedback form
Week 4 – Legal Responsibilities
21st May 2019
Elsa Caleb & HMRC
- Personal Survival Budget
- Understanding income and expenditure
- Setting Sales Targets
- Completing a Sales Forecast
- Competing a Cash-flow Forecast
- Understanding profit and loss
- Feedback form
TUESDAY 28TH MAY HALF TERM HOLIDAYS
Week 5 – Understanding Finance & HMRC
4th June 2019
Elsa Caleb & Sajid Syed
- When do I have to register with HMRC?
- How much will my National Insurance Contributions be and how will they be paid?
- When and how do I pay my taxes?
- What counts as a business expenses?
- Can you explain how using things like my car for both work and personal uses works?
- How much does it cost to have an accountant do my tax return for me?
- Is there software you provide for your customers to enable them to keep records that make self-assessment easy?
- Feedback form
Week 6 - Marketing & Branding
11th June 2019
Elsa Caleb & Carol Pyke
- Personal branding
- Story board
- Introduction to Marketing
- The importance of Marketing
- Feedback form
Week 7 – Understanding the Benefits of Social Media and a Website
18th May 2019
Elsa Caleb & Theo Ruby
- What is a domain / hosting / website builder and what’s the difference.
- How to get started with wordpress.com
- Picking a theme
- Setting up pages
- Building a menu structure
- How to create a form to collect leads
- Adding Social Integration
- Very Basic Search Engine Optimisation
- Next Steps
- What does social media offer your business
- What channels are right for you?
- Setting up accounts
- Keeping a consistent tone and branding for your business
- Social media post structure – Statement #tag CTA image
- How to react to negative comments
- Scheduling and time saving tips
- Feedback Form
Week 8 - Presentations
25th May 2019
- What’s next
Endorsements from past participants;
"The course layout was amazing I’ve learnt many things about my business and how to present myself."- SS
"I now feel I am a much more confident woman and signing up the “My life Mix” programme has been one of the best decisions I have made."- IL
"I came for a course to help me start my business, the course delivered much more than expected. Doing the weekly homework and implementing the advice literally made me ready to start. From Business Jungle I feel now in a peaceful and clear meadow." - Karine Perret-Kermous
"Absolutely brilliant course in every way, I looked forward to coming to the course every week and I have learnt so much this has been a life changing experience for me. Thank you so much I feel confident to move on with my Business Plan after so many years." - SG
"I really enjoyed the course. The trainer created a safe and comfortable atmosphere, an environment for learning. I enjoyed the content of the course, the practical activities, writing my learning journal." - CQ