Location: North Kensington, West London
Commencement: April 2023
Time Commitment: Attend 4 board meetings and 1 strategy day per year
Role: We are seeking a new Non-Executive Director to join our well-established and highly dedicated Board, on a voluntary basis, to oversee and advise on the legal responsibilities of the organisation.
We are a not-for-profit organisation. Founded in the late 1980s, our mission is to help people in the local West London community to start up, grow and expand their businesses, assisting them to realise their full potential in the process. We do this through the provision of affordable, high quality, independent and confidential support in the form of training courses, seminars, workshops, business consultancy, one-to-one advice and networking opportunities.
Nationally recognised as a leading provider of professional enterprise services, PBC has fostered the emergence of thousands of SMEs in a multitude of business sectors. We have an impressive track record of achievement having supported over 5,000 businesses over the past 28 years, with more than 13,000 customers having utilised our services. Though our focus is on micro and small business within the local community, the organisation has been instrumental at the start of major businesses such as Innocent Drinks, Charlie Bigham’s and Karen Millen. PBC has also played a leading role in supporting over 80 businesses directly affected by the Grenfell Tower tragedy.
PCB is run by a team of permanent and contracted staff led by an experienced CEO. The team has recently moved to the newly refurbished Morley College North Kensington Centre for Skills, providing an even closer rapport with the education sector, in line with the PBC approach of partnership, collaboration and innovation. The Board is made up of up to eight Non-Executive Directors working on a voluntary basis. Our vision is to become the leading provider in London of high-quality training, business advice and consultancy services to the start-up and small business community. PBC’s finances are currently stable and the projections are for a sustainable level of income over the coming three years.
- Provide legal advice, guidance and support to the Board, as needed.
- Keep the Board aware of their legal responsibilities.
- Ensure processes are audited as required by law.
- Ensure suitable legal controls are in place.
- Instruct, manage and liaise with external lawyers where appropriate.
- Identify and report any legal risks with the Risk Committee Chair.
- Jointly maintain the Risk Register with the Risk Committee Chair.
General Non-Executive Director duties:
- Assist in ensuring the organisation pursues its objectives as defined in its memorandum and articles of association.
- Contribute actively to the Board of Directors’ role in giving firm strategic direction to the organisation, setting overall policy, defining goals, setting targets and evaluating performance against agreed targets.
- Safeguard the good name and values of the organisation.
- Represent the organisation at functions and meetings, as appropriate.
- Declare any conflict of interest whilst carrying out the duties of a Non-Executive Director.
- Ensure the effective and efficient administration of the organisation.
- Abide by all relevant policies and procedures.
- Ensure the financial stability of the organisation.
- Protect and manage the property of the organisation and ensure the proper investment of the organisation’s funds.
- Ensure the organisation is properly insured against all reasonable liabilities.
- Assist in the appointment and support Senior Managers and monitor their performance.
- Provide feedback on Board papers, lead discussions, focus on key issues, provide advice and guidance on new initiatives.
- Attend meetings and read supporting papers in advance of meetings.
- Attend sub-committee meetings, as appropriate.
- Participate in other task as they arise from time to time, such as interviewing new staff and helping with fundraising.
- Qualified lawyer.
- Legal experience at a strategic level.
- An understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship.
- A willingness to devote the necessary time and effort to duties as a trustee.
- Integrity and a commitment to the organisation and its objectives.
- Good, independent judgement.
- An ability to think creatively.
- Willingness to speak your mind.
- An ability to work effectively as part of a team.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent organisational skills.
- 5+ years of experience in a finance environment at a senior level.
- Experience of working in the not-for-profit sector.
Applicants should forward a CV and brief cover letter, explaining why they are interested in joining the PBC Board to firstname.lastname@example.org by Wednesday 17th May 2023.